Kevin Kang’ethe, a Kenyan man implicated in the murder of his girlfriend Margaret Mbitu at a Boston, United States airport, has managed to evade authorities after absconding from police custody in Nairobi.

The 40-year-old suspect reportedly vanished from the confines of Muthaiga Police Station, where he was being detained following his court appearance on January 31.

Sources familiar with the matter disclosed that a man purporting to be Kang’ethe’s legal representative visited the station, prompting officers to grant him access to the suspect.

It was during this encounter that Kang’ethe inexplicably absconded from the premises, disappearing without a trace around 5 p.m. on Wednesday.

In the wake of his disappearance, four police officers who were on duty at the station during the incident, along with the purported lawyer, have been apprehended as authorities intensify efforts to locate Kang’ethe.

Kang’ethe stands accused of the murder of a 31-year-old Kenyan-born woman residing in Whitman, Massachusetts.

The lifeless body of the victim was discovered inside a vehicle at Boston's Logan Airport in November of last year.

Following his arrest in Nairobi, Kang’ethe was brought before the court on a miscellaneous application, during which detectives were granted a 30-day detention period to facilitate ongoing investigations.

Magistrate Zainab Abdul presiding over the case, ordered his detention at Muthaiga Police Station, citing the gravity of the offence and the intention to extradite him to the US, where he faces murder charges.

"There being no objection and owing to the fact that the DPP wants to extradite the suspect and the seriousness of this matter, the accused is hereby detained at Muthaiga Police Station matter to be mentioned on 4th of March," Zainab ruled.

Investigations have revealed that Kang’ethe and the deceased were both residents of Massachusetts and were believed to be romantically involved.

Preliminary findings suggest that the suspect viciously assaulted the victim, inflicting fatal wounds to her face and neck area.

Moreover, court proceedings unveiled that following the alleged crime, Kang'ethe fled to Kenya, maintaining communication with acquaintances both in the U.S. and Kenya through various phone numbers.