President William Ruto has promoted Lieutenant General Francis Omondi Ogolla to the position of military General and appointed him the new Chief of Defence Forces (CDF).
General Francis Ogolla will now replace General Robert Kariuki Kibochi, who is exiting the military after 44 years and whose single term of four years as CDF has officially come to an end.
Until his appointment by President Ruto on Friday, General Ogolla was serving as the Vice Chief of the Defence Forces (VCDF).
“His Excellency Dr. William Ruto, President of the Republic of Kenya, and Commander-in-Chief of the Defence Forces, pursuant to Section 9 (2), (a) of the Kenya Defence Forces Act, has today promoted Lieutenant General Francis Omondi Ogolla to the rank of General and appointed him Chief of the Defence Forces (CDF),” read the Ministry of Defence circular.
Ruto also appointed Major General David Kimaiyo Tarus as Deputy Commander Kenya Army and Major General William Karisa Shume as the General Officer Border Security Command.
In the fresh changes in the military, National Defence University Vice Chancellor Lieutenant General Jonah Mwangi will take over as the new Vice Chief of Defence Forces (VCDF).
Major General Said Farah was promoted to Vice Chancellor of the National Defence University - Kenya, taking over the position from Jonah Mwangi.
The promotions and appointments were made following the recommendations of the Defence Council, which was chaired by the Cabinet Secretary for Defence Aden Duale.
Due to proposals of the Defence Council, the following promotions and appointments were also made in the military ranks:
• Brigadier David Kipkemboi Keter was promoted to Major General and appointed Assistant Chief of the Defence Forces Personnel and Logistics (ACDF P&L).
• Brigadier Stephen James Mutuku was promoted to Major General and appointed the Senior Directing Staff (Army) at the National Defence College - Kenya.
• Brigadier John Maison Nkoimo promoted to Major General rank and appointed Commandant, Joint Command Staff College (JCSC).
• Brigadier Abdulkadir Mohammed Burje promoted to Major General and appointed Director of Military Intelligence (DMI).
• Brigadier Paul Owuor Otieno promoted to Major General and appointed the Managing Director at Kenya Shipyards Limited.
• Colonel Anthony Rotich was promoted to Brigadier Commander Military Intelligence Corps.
• Colonel Alfred Mwihuri Gitonga promoted to Brigadier and appointed Director National Military Coordination Center.