Sports Cabinet Secretary Amina Mohamed has disbanded the Football Kenya Federation (FKF) and sent its President Nick Mwendwa and his team packing with immediate effect.
This comes after Amina received a report from the inspection committee mandated to do an audit of the FKF on Thursday morning.
Amina also appointed an interim 15-member committee led by retired Justice Aaron Ringera to run the affairs of football in Kenya.
FKF has been facing several administration issues including the misappropriation of funds the government allocated to it.
The inspection committee appointed by the registrar came up with recommendations that would see the involvement of DCI, NIS and EACC in the investigation of FKF affairs.
The committee also recommended the removal of current officials at FKF led by President Nick Mwendwa to pave the way for further investigations and disciplinary action.
The appointment of the caretaker committee for a period not exceeding six months was also a recommendation of the inspection committee.
FKF was also barred from opening any bank accounts unless authorized by the Sports Principal Secretary during the six-month period the committee will run Kenyan football affairs.
No funds will be released to FKF either, according to the proiposals in the announcement made by Sports CS Amina Mohamed.
The committee also proposed that the government of Kenya invokes Article 17 and 58 of the FIFA Code of Ethics (2020 edition) by informing the FIFA Secretariat Investigation Chamber of the outcome of the Inspection.
Here is a list of the caretaker committee members and Secretariat formed by the CS;
Caretaker Committee Members
- Justice (Rtd.) Aaron Ringera
- General (Rtd.) Moses Oyugi
- Fatma Adan (Hodi)
- Philip Musyimi Mue
- Anthony L. Isayi
- Elisha Chepchieng Kiplagat
- Hassan Mahmoud Haji
- Fredrick Tureisa Lekesike
- Mwangi Muthee
- Neddy Atieno Okoth
- Ali Amour
- Titus Kasuve
- (Richard Omwela
- Bobby Ogola
- J.J. Masiga
Secretariat to the Caretaker Committee
- Linda Ogutu - Head of Secretariat
- Michael Muchemi - Secretary
- Lorine Nerea Shitubi - Joint Secretary
- Caesar Handa
- Habo Mwachiro
- Edward Rombo
- Hiba Hussein
- Gabriel Warigi
- Dr. Walter Ongeti
- Rashid Khamisi Ali Shedu
- Hon. Racheal Kamweru
- Robin Toskin
The caretaker committee whose operations will be facilitated by the Ministry of Sports Culture and Heritage is mandated to do the following:
- Conduct all the affairs of the Football Kenya Federation in accordance with its constitution.
- Ensure that the Football Federation of Kenya is in compliance with the Sports Act (2013)
- Coordinate and ensure the smooth running of FKF's operations including team preparations of all local and international sporting events
- Coordinate elections of FKF in accordance with the Sports Act (2013) and the Sports Registrar's regulations
- Hand over Football Kenya Federation to the newly elected officials after a successful election.