Today marks a dark day for the journalism fraternity and the media industry in Kenya following the death of Robin Njogu, who passed on last evening while receiving treatment at the Aga Khan Hospital in Nairobi.

Robin worked in radio all his years as a journalist, starting off as a reporter and rising to the position of Managing Editor in charge of Radio at Royal Media Services.

Robin began his career as an intern at the Kenya Broadcasting Corporation (KBC), and rose to become a producer at the defunct Metro FM at the same station.

In April 1999, he then moved to Capital FM as a news reporter, where he established himself as a champion of breaking news, later rising to the rank of news editor.

In November 2012, he moved to Nation FM as Head of News, until September 2015.

He then moved to Royal Media Services, where he has been working until his demise.

He will be remembered for his role in the transformation of radio news delivery in Kenya. And because of this, he was almost always the first to break news via his Twitter profile.

The radio in Kenya has lost a real legend; passionate, charismatic & genuine. His legacy and contribution to the growth and place of radio will remain forever.

Ever the prolific journalist, he had good contacts and sources locally and abroad. They say a man’s net worth is his network.

Robin valued friendship. A number of journalists paying tribute to him have written that they would go to his Twitter account to double check a news item... if it was not there then it was not news just yet. Such was his authority and credibility.

Largely due to a strong network of sources and a strong nose for news. But as huge as his reputation and following were, he always was down to earth and full of humility.

Robin served in the Kenya Editors’ Guild executive committee that stepped forward to help revive the organisation in 2018.

He served with selflessness, deftly deploying his emotional smarts, digital-savvy and journalistic networks.

He mentored many and cherished journalistic excellence.

His story will live with us into eternity.

Robin had been in ICU at the Aga Khan Hospital for four weeks.

His death has brought to fore the reality of the Covid-19 right inside our newsrooms and prompted us to urgently think about the exposure of journalists in the line of duty in the war against the pandemic.

It is a wake-up call for the profession, the industry and indeed the Government to urgently come up with mitigation measures to protect journalists as they serve on the frontline.

Robin’s story shall live with us forever. May his family be comforted. May his soul Rest in Peace.

Churchill Otieno, Editors’ Guild President