The embattled Independent Electoral and Boundaries Commission Vice-Chairperson Juliana Cherera has resigned.

Cherera tendered her resignation on Monday morning barely two days after her fellow commissioner Justus Nyang’aya resigned.

In her resignation notice, Cherera noted her resignation came with intense woe.

“It is with immense woe that today I tender my resignation as commissioner and vice chairperson of Independent Electoral and Boundaries Commission (IEBC),” Cherera said

She highlighted her duties during her tenure as the commission Vice-Chairperson which included advocating for fair treatment and equal opportunity among IEBC staff

“Since joining the commission, I have dispensed my duties diligently, meticulously and put a spirited effort in helping the commission deal with corporate governance issues under very difficult circumstances. As vice chairperson, I always advocated for fair treatment and equal opportunity for all staff,” she said.

Cherera revealed her resignation came after careful consideration and consultation with family and her legal team.

She said her actions which were misjudged and misinterpreted were done in good faith and therefore made her stay in the commission untenable.

“However, my cumulative actions done in good faith are unfortunately misjudged and misinterpreted. After careful consideration of the current events at the commission and with consultation with my family and lawyers,” Cherera said

“I accept that my stay at the commission is no longer tenable and therefore choose to vacate.”

She thanked President William Ruto and the Republic of Kenya for giving her the opportunity to serve.

“I sincerely thank His Excellency Hon. Dr. William Samoei Arap Ruto, The President of the Republic of Kenya for the opportunity accorded to me to serve the republic. God Bless,” she said.

During the August general elections, Cherera led three other commissioners in dissenting the presidential election result that declared Ruto the victor if the presidential race.

Her resignation comes two days after Ruto suspend her and the three other commissioners and established a tribunal to investigate their conduct.