- The MPs, in the plenary session, reversed the rejection of Tourism and Wildlife CS Peninah Malonza’s nomination by the National Assembly Committee on Appointments.
- The House plenary approved the 21 nominees for CS, as well as the Secretary to the Cabinet nominee Mercy Wanjau alongside Justin Muturi who is Ruto’s pick for Attorney General.
Members of Parliament on Wednesday morning approved the nomination of all the 24 people scheduled to join President William Ruto’s government as Cabinet Secretaries.
The MPs, in the plenary session, reversed the rejection of Tourism and Wildlife CS Peninah Malonza’s nomination by the National Assembly Committee on Appointments.
The vetting team chaired by National Assembly Speaker Moses Wetangula had asserted that Malonza was unsuitable for the role as she had not shown a grasp of topics in the ministry.
“The nominee did not demonstrate knowledge on topical, administrative and technical issues touching on the ministry. She lacked the requisite abilities and professional experience to be approved for appointment to the office of Cabinet Secretary,” declared the vetting committee on Malonza.
The approval of the former Kitui deputy governor’s nomination for CS came a day after MPs bashed the House committee accusing it of unfairly targeting Malonza in its vetting of CSs.
They lauded her integrity and professional credentials saying she is suitable for the said job.
Kitui Woman Rep Irene Kasalu, who beat Malonza in the August election, moved the motion approving her for the CS post after MPs voted to reverse her rejection by the vetting team.
MPs also rendered useless the minority report by Azimio la Umoja proposing the rejection of Agriculture CS nominee Mithika Linturi and his Public Service colleague Aisha Jumwa.
Lawmakers debated the report on Tuesday afternoon after it was tabled with some Kenya Kwanza alliance MPs led by Sylvanus Osoro (UDA) pushing for the appointment of Malonza.
The House plenary approved the 21 nominees for CS, as well as the Secretary to the Cabinet nominee Mercy Wanjau alongside Justin Muturi who is Ruto’s pick for Attorney General.
All those approved for appointment to the 24-member cabinet are:
1. Musalia Mudavadi - Prime Cabinet Secretary
2. Prof Kithure Kindiki - Interior and National Administration
3. Aden Duale – Defence
4. Davis Chirchir - Energy and Petroleum
5. Kipchumba Murkomen - Roads, Transport and Public Works
6. Mithika Linturi - Agriculture
7. Simon Chelugui - Co-Operatives and MSMEs Development
8. Aisha Jumwa - Public Service, Gender and Affirmative Action
9. Alice Wahome - Water, Sanitation and Irrigation
10. Susan Wafula – Health
11. Moses Kuria - Trade, Investment and Industry
12. Ezekiel Machogu – Education
13. Soipan Tuya - Environment and Forestry
14. Prof Njuguna Ndung’u - National Treasury and Planning
15. Eliud Owalo - ICT and Digital Economy
16. Rebecca Miano - East African Community, ASALs and Regional Development
17. Florence Bore - Labour and Social Protection
18. Zacharia Njeru - Lands, Housing and Urban Development
19. Salim Mvurya - Mining, Blue Economy and Maritime Affairs
20. Dr Alfred Mutua - Foreign and Diaspora Affairs
21. Ababu Namwamba - Youth Affairs, Sports and the Arts