The two-year-old minor who had a fork hoe lodged in his head succumbed to his injuries while receiving treatment at the Kenyatta National Referral Hospital (KNH).

The young boy’s mother confirmed his unfortunate demise at the hands of surgeons who were trying to save his life at the hospital on Tuesday evening.

The boy was initially taken to Thika Level 5 Hospital on Monday before being referred to KNH.

Once they reached KNH, the mother to the child would later complain about massive delays in service delivery by the health institution’s staff.

Her sentiments were shared across social media, raising an outrage online with a large section of Kenyans castigating the hospital for negligence.

However, KNH issued a quick rejoinder via the same platform, acknowledging the incident and detailing why they were not quick to initiate surgical procedures on the boy.

“Our attention has been drawn to the story circulating online regarding a child admitted at KNH with a fork lodged in his skull. We wish to assure members of the public as follows,” the statement read.

"The patient had lost a lot of blood and as a result, the clotting process was not occurring as expected, thereby, delaying the surgical procedure as this would have been dangerous to the patient."

The hospital further assured the public that the patient was being taken care of and thanked the members of the public for their concerns.

“The patient has since been stabilized and is currently undergoing a delicate operation in KNH theatres,” KNH said.

"We thank you for your concern and we assure you that the child is under the best care by our teams."