Pakistani journalist Arshad Sharif was shot dead on Sunday night at around 9 pm in Kajiado County.

Sharif was shot at a roadblock while he was in the company of his brother Kurram Ahmed and died on the spot from a hail of bullets that were sprayed on him.

Sharif and Ahmed were they were on their way from Magadi when General Service Unit (GSU) officers from Magadi Training School ’mistakenly opened fire and killed him.'

A police report filed at Magadi Police Station claimed the vehicle the two were travelling in branched from a dusty feeder road into Kiserian-Magadi road when they defied a police order to stop.

That prompted the police officers at the roadblock to open fire, leaving the car ridden with nine bullet holes on the left side of the windscreen, which was the same side Sharif was sitting on.

Two other bullet holes were found on the rear left side of the rear windscreen, four more were found on the right side of the boot, one on the rear right door and a deflated tyre.

The deceased probably succumbed to a bullet that went through the back of his head and exited through the front.

According to the police report, the GSU officers alleged they were put on high alert by the Starehe DCI after unknown individuals reportedly kidnapped a child in a vehicle which was also reported missing by a Kenyan.

Luckily, the child was found in Kiserian, but the vehicle whose registration plate number was bearing the initial alphanumeric digit KDJ was not recovered.

The officers claimed because of the high alert raised about the stolen vehicle, Sharif’s shooting may have been a case of mistaken identity.

His spouse Javeria Siddique took to social media to mourn her husband and her favourite journalist.

She appealed to the public to avoid sharing their family pictures and the deceased’s last pictures from the hospital.

“I lost friend, husband and my favourite journalist @arsched today, as per police he was shot in Kenya,” Javeria said.

“Respect our privacy and in the name of breaking pls don't share our family pics, personal details and his last pictures from hospital.”