Sudan’s temporary government has confirmed that long-time supporters of ousted president Omar al-Bashir orchestrated the attempted coup on Tuesday involving military officers and civilians.
Prime minister Abdalla Hamdok says the coup attempt was the latest revelation of the national crisis that is facing Sudan’s democratic transitions.
Through a televised speech, Hamdok says that plotters had made concrete preparations which were showcased in the security breakdown in cities such as blocking of national roads, closure of ports and continuous instigation against the proposed civilian government.
Minister for Information Hamza Baloul confirmed that the attempted coup was thwarted and normalcy restored, both military and civilian suspects arrested.
“Peace has been restored and the plotters of the attempted coup both military and civilians have been arrested,” said Baloul.
Sudan's army commander Abdel Fattah al-Burhan has visited the military camp in South Khartoum where the attempted mutiny reportedly began.
The army has since regained control over the sites that perpetrators sought to control and man-hand for others involved is still going on.
So far, the military has captured 11 officers.
UN Secretary-General Antonio Guterres has condemned the attempted coup and immediately called all parties to remain firm to the transition government in Sudan.
African Union Commission chair Moussa Faki Mahamat who lashed at the failed power grab echoed similar sentiments.
US through State Department spokesperson Ned Price has sent a warning against anti-democratic actions in Sudan.